Moodle has smart calendars built right in
Learn how to view your calendars in Moodle and how to subscribe to them using a Google calendar
Moodle has flexible calendars that can include system, course, and personal events. When you create an assignment with a deadline, it will be added to the course calendar automatically. Instructors can also add events to the course calendar itself which will cause them to show up in student calendars and in the "Upcoming Events" box. Moodle is aware of the present date and will generate alerts about upcoming deadlines. Moodle can also generate a unique URL that you can use to subscribe to your course calendars using an independent calendaring tool. The tutorial here shows how to subscribe using a Google calendar, but other calendar clients can be used in a similar way.
Get the calendar feed link from Moodle
- From your main course page click on Go to calendar... in the "Upcoming Events" box
- On the calendar page you can change the "Upcoming Events" drop-down setting to view all courses if you wish
- Click on Export calendar at the bottom center of the calendar page
- On the next screen you will probably want to set the date range to "Recent and next 60 days"
- After making any adjustments to the date range click Get calendar URL
- Copy the hyperlink that Moodle offers. (This link contains a unique key for your calendar feed, and Moodle will only generate the link for enrolled members of the relevant courses.)
Subscribe to the feed using the Google calendar
- On your Google calendar page find the area for "Other calendars" in the lower left
- Click on Add at the bottom of that section
- Choose Add by URL
- Paste the URL from Moodle into the "URL" field in the pop-up dialog window
- Click on Add calendar
- Moodle events should now feed into your Google calendar
- Although not demonstrated in the video, you will probably want to edit the name of your calendar to something useful. Click on the arrow to the right of the calendar name, and choose Calendar settings.
- Updates to the Moodle calendar are not reflected immediately in Google. The speed of the update will depend on how often Google polls the feed.
- As with other Google calendars, you may want to subscribe to reminders or alerts for your course events.