Weight categories and items
Learn how to adjust your gradebook so that given items or categories count toward a certain percentage of the overall grade
- The easiest approach is to leave your aggregation scheme as the default "weighted mean of grades." Other options will not be discussed here, but the gradebook is very flexible in how grades are calculated.
- The weightings are actually proportions rather than percentages per se. You might find it easiest to have your weightings add up to 100, but Moodle does not impose any such restriction. If you had 4 assignments weighted as 5 each, then each would be worth 25% even though your individual weightings added up only to 20.
- From the main course page choose Grades from the Administration panel to go to your gradebook
- Click on the Categories and items tab
- For most purposes you will probably want to use the Weighted mean of grades as your course grade aggregation scheme
- Enter weightings for each uncategorized item and each top-level category that will contribute to the overall grade. One convenient approach is to think of your weightings in terms of percentages.
Note: Weightings for items within categories will affect the category grade directly, and will affect the overall course grade only by virtue of affecting the category grade.
- Save changes