Create a Gradebook Category
Learn how to create a category in your gradebook and assign items to it.
Categories are especially useful for automated grading. You can assign all items of a given type to a category (Quizzes, for example) and then assign an overall weight to the category for grading purposes.
- Create a category
- From the main course page, click on Grades in the Administration bucket to go to your gradebook
- Click on the Categories and items tab to show the organization of your gradebook
- Click the Add category button near the bottom of the page
- Enter a Category name
- You can adjust other setting if you wish, but generally the defaults are a good choice
- Save changes
- Assign items to a category
- You can assign items to an existing category during the item creation process, or you can
- Click the checkbox(es) to the right of any item(s) you wish to add to a given category
- Use the Move selected items to dropdown menu near the bottom of the page to designate the destination category
- The change should apply as soon as you choose a category