Add an item to your gradebook and enter grades
Learn some of the basics of working with gradebook items and categories. Discover the "turn editing on" feature.
When you create an "Assignment" (or certain other kinds of) activity in your course, a column is added automatically to your gradebook. When you grade the assignment the assessments will flow to the gradebook. There is no need for manual intervention. Sometimes, though, you may want to add items to the gradebook without creating an associated course activity. These instructions will show you how to do that.
- Adding an item
- Go to the gradebook and click on the Categories and items tab
- Scroll to the bottom of the list of items and click the Add grade item button
- Provide a name for the item
- Adjust the Maximum grade and Grade category, if desired
Note: "Value" is the recommended setting for "Grade Type"
- Save changes
- Grading a manually added item
- Click on the gradebook's View tab
- Click the Turn editing on button
- Enter the grades into the appropriate cells
Hint: Use the Tab key to advance quickly from cell to cell
- Click the Update button at the bottom of the gradebook whenever you want to commit your changes